Rus Union (ルーシー連邦) is a major country on the eastern side of the Empire. Its capital is Moscow.
Before the Great War, Rus Union originated as an aristocratic country led by a Czar. This ex-government was the long-standing ally with Francois Republic. However, it changed when communism spread in their nation, resulting in a brutal civil war where the nationalists were defeated. A new-formed communist government finally won the civil war, and signed a nonaggression pact and other treaties with the Empire.
After gaining control of the nation, the communist government enforced collectivization, purged the counter-revolutionaries, built the canal, and arrested the enemy of the people from former government. Few years later, their regime got stable, yet many elite military officers were executed, or sent to gulag, making the Union Army deadly weak. It kept neutral at the beginning of the Great War.
Its territories border mostly follows the borders of the modern Europe nations in our world. The novel only showed its western border so far. Based of that, its territories at least contain western part of Russia, Ukraine without Budjak, Belarus, and all Baltic states.
Note that its territories doesn't contain Finland, Armenia, Azerbaijan, and Georgia.
- Allied Kingdom (連合王国) - Because of the different ideology, they treated each other hostile before the Union declared war on the Empire. However, after the first invading army of the Union was defeated, both of them decided to sign an agreement to share information, exchange the arrested spies, send expeditionary forces, and make a convoy route to supply one another.
- Empire (帝国) - The new government signed a nonaggression pact and other treaties with the Empire, and kept its neutrality at the beginning of this war. However in year 1926, the Union declared war on the Empire upon the General Secretary's order.
- Francois Republic (フランソワ共和国) - After the communists took over the Union, they broke their treaty of alliance with the Republic, and signed several friendly treaties with the Empire, which mean the official breakup of their long-term relationships in the past.
- Ildoa Kingdom (イルドア王国) - The Kingdom was accepted to come forward as an intermediary, who will hold the ceasefire negotiations between the Union and the Empire. Union also stopped the activities of the radical left that were inside Ildoa as their requirement.
- Autonomous Council (自治評議会) - The council consists of the ethnic minorities (might refers to Baltic states, Belarus, and Ukraine) and the separatists, who desire the independence from the Union and are being strongly protected by the Empire. Because of them, the Union was forced to change their attitude from criticizing nationalism to emphasizing the unity of the party and the state.
- Akitsukushima Empire (秋津洲皇国) - Both nations had fought each other in the past. There had been some border skirmish between their boundary.
They have a large population consisting of pro-communist group. They had powerful artillery, simple yet durable infantry equipment, and many ski assault battalions that were excellent in snow battlefield. However, their military officers were under the surveillance of the political officers and had little veto to the decisions from Moscow.
During the Great Purge, most of the high-ranking naval officers had been executed or sent to the gulag. Their navy strength is weak, equipping with pre-dreadnought battleships and lacking for landing craft and aircraft carrier. In the volume 6, Drake described it as “the blank software with the antiquated hardware”.
Their air forces fought hard to the Imperial air forces, yet they usually failed to gain air supremacy at early period. On the other hand, during the Great Purge, most of the mages, whom the communists recognized as the models of royalists, had been sent to the gulag. Hence, in the early period of the war against the Empire, the army suffers from the horrifying attack by the enemy's flight mages.
In volume 7, some of their mages started to equip with the new orb named "T3476". They used some powerful tanks with heavy armour that caused 57 mm shells to ricochet from its surface. They also had powerful self-propelled rocket artillery.
- Rus Union has a same references as Soviet Union during 1910's to 1990's.
- On the maps that show up in the background of the anime, the country's name shows up as "Union of Rus Socialist Republics" in a highly stylized font.
- During the first invasion against the Empire (beginning in 1926/3/15), the Union mobilized about 175 divisions to the eastern front, which was far out of the Empire's expectation about 120 divisions. At that time, the Imperial Eastern Army Group only had 60 divisions, and was pushed back from three directions.