Magic is the phenomenon where mages use their mana to interfere with the world, a method that allows apparition of phenomena by giving appropriate stimulation to the point of application.
Modern magic is achieved through technology Operation Orb, unlike the era of legends, this allowed people to clearly understand in detail the where, the how, and to what degree of power to interfere with reality.
Some of the aspects of magic in Youjo Senki's universe are noted to be a mystery such as fundamental principles related to mana and interference spells.
Operation Orb Edit
Main Article: Operation Orb
A tool used by mages to recreate miraculous phenomena through the combination of mana and analog calculation.
Sceptres are tools mages use when casting spells, rifles are the substitute used by modern mages. Rifles are mainly used as tool to cast long range spell in battle. A few highly skilled mages like Tanya von Degurechaff can fire their spells from their fingertips.
In Youjo Senki's universe spells aren't a set of words, spoken or unspoken to invoke some magical effect. Mages have to understand how the phenomenon of spells they intend to cast works to recreate the deeds such as miracles. The same way people understand how to light fire with a lighter, thus enabling them to recreate the deed through magic.
Flight Spells Edit
The aeronautic magic, which allowed mages to soar through the sky. This magic works by creating propulsion, forcefully raising a mage into the sky, and maintaining balance while in the air. The standard altitude for flight mages is 6000ft, and it's not recommended for them to propel themselves any higher using this spell due to thin oxygen and massive amount of mana their orb has to bear to maintain flight. Surpassing these limitations need a multi-core orb.
Defensive Spells Edit
- Passive Shell: Protects against small fragments, small caliber bullets and blastwaves. Can be kept on indefinitely, also easy to cast together with other spells.
- Active Barrier: Increasing the density of the shell in one part to create a shield that can withstand machine gun fire. Whether it provides adaquate protection depends on the mage's skill.
Offensive Spells Edit
- Enchanted Rounds: Sealing spells inside bullets or grenades to activate as required. Spells can be activated with minimal mana, but the rounds need to be prepared.
- Homing Cluster Shot: Any bullets that imbued with this spell will split into several homing projectiles upon reaching a certain range and seek out the target.
- Artillery Shots: Any bullets thats imbued with this spell will have it's firepower enhanced to be comparable to artillery shots.
- Optical Spells: Emit a straight heat beam. Skilled mages can refract it to change its course. Noted to be the favored spell of Republican mage for their volley of fire doctrine.
- Explosive Spells: Create an explosion at any coordinate.
- Self-Destruction: Overloading one's Operation Orb with Mana causing it to reach critical mass and explode, injuring the user and surrounding the enemies if not outright killing them.
- Guidance/Interference Spells: Directing a spell's trajectory, could be used for offensive and defensive purpose.
- Enchanted Bayonet A bayonet imbued with mana sharp and durable enough to cut a man or plane in two.
- Optical Decoy Magic: Create an illusion that will interfere with the visual senses of those around the user when it's casted. Skilled mage can easily differentiate between what is real and the illusion, especially since this spell is inclusively targeting sight and nothing else.
- Scanning Magic: Processes data of a Mage's surroundings, uses varied from locking on target coordinates, detecting observational wave and analyzing enemy's mana signature. In anime, this spell takes the form of a holographic screen while in manga it's akin to a halo above the user.