The Empire (帝国), or alternatively The Fatherland, Reich (ライヒ), is a powerful nation residing in the alternate Earth. The main character, Tanya Degurechaff, was sent to here following her first encounter with Being X. It is characterized by a strong military and rationalist attitude towards warfare. The Empire's capital and largest metropolis is Berlun.
- Ildoa Kingdom (イルドア王国?) - Despite the Republic's exhortations for joining to the Allies, it formed an alliance with Empire, maintaining its neutrality in the beginning of this war and focusing its attention on expanding its colonial influence in Africa and the Aegean Sea.
- Rus' Union / Russy Federation (anime) (ルーシー連邦?) - The new government signed a nonaggression pact and other treaties with Empire, and kept its neutrality in the beginning of this war. However in year 1926, they declared war on the Empire upon the General Secretary's order.
Since the founding of the Empire, it secures its historic territories under the influence of the Great Reichism, and is being troubled for territorial disputes. Its territories border mostly follows the borders of the modern Europe nations in our world. Based of that, its territories contains Germany, Denmark, Scania of Sweden, low countries, Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Hungary, Czech, Slovakia, Poland, and Kaliningrad of Russia. Here listed the disputed territories of the Empire.
- Imperial Norden (to Legadonia Entente Alliance) - It refers to Denmark and Scania of Sweden.
- Lowland Industry Area (to Francois Republic) - It refers to low countries.
- Unredeemed Ildoa (to Kingdom of Ildoa) - It refers to Slovenia.
- Imperial Dacia (to Grand Duchy of Dacia) - It refers to Hungary.
- Imperial Ostland (to Rus Federation) - It refers to the part of Poland at the east of the Vistula and Kaliningrad of Russia.
For historical reasons, the Empire is located right in the middle of the continent, and has territorial disputes to most neighboring countries, which formed a containment net against the Empire, so the Empire had to think of its neighboring countries as potential enemies. To defend its vast territory, its troop numbers were always a tricky topic. To prevent the inferior numbers on all fronts, the Imperial General Staff decided to adapt a national defense plan that could ensure the overwhelming advantages in one front to destroy the invading forces one by one, while avoiding the lethal depletion of others.
Internal Mobilization Strategy
As known as Plan 315. It was a delicate defense policy which committed troops superior in quality and quantity topically, and transferred the advantages to another front rapidly, finally defeated all enemies by winning several decisive battles. Based of it, Front was dictated to halt the progression of enemy advancement along the previously indicated defense line such that reinforcements from the continental army would then be able to annihilate the enemy forces that had overextended. Since the continental army was the main forces of the Empire, the plan 315 focused on maximizing the speed of domestic theater maneuvering, making the continental army the rapid reaction troops of the Imperial Army theoretically.
The Empire has the most outstanding and advanced army in the alternate world. The majority of their manpower was focused in land, air and not sea. Now, both air and land are prioritized due to the spread of Mages. Thus, the Empire's army is the most powerful of its other counterparts in other nations. Based on the plan 315, which formed the internal mobilization strategy, within a week of mobilization orders, the Empire was capable to mobilize the powerful continental army, which was expected as the sword of the army (Front were the shields of army) and consisted of 20 regular divisions and 60 divisions of reservist forces.
They have a large amount of submarines than long-ranged and heavy barreled battleships. Submarines can move under the sea and cannot be seen by the destroyers. They have limited manpower because of less priority in navy so they are not powerful than Allied Kingdom in sea. Their Imperial High Seas Fleet has more naval ships while the Imperial North Sea Fleet has newer ones, whose flagship is SMS Helgoland.
They have minimum air power and resistance but advanced long-ranged fighter planes. All of their pilots are elite and highly-trained personnel. Therefore, they put a lot of effort to maintain the air superiority in the sky.
Research and Development
With the guidance of Dr. Schugel, Empire finally created an unlimited orb such as Type 97 Elinium Orb that help their mages to move freely to 8,000 feet above sea level. The researchers are dedicated and motivated to create and improve their technology.
In land, Empire's researchers and engineers developed long-ranged bombers, long-ranged artillery and also heavy and light tanks. Surpassing the technology of the other countries, they improved the guns and equipment of their troops.
The Empire's researchers focuses to develop submarines and not merely to heavy and long battleship. It is because it is sneaky and light for their navy. Another reason, they have less manpower to consume and use it.
Failed Attempts To Stop The War
1st moment: Reject Ludwig, who was the Chief of General Staff at that time, to mobilize the continental army against Legedonia. The Empire could just defeated the invading army, and threatened their government by political means. However, its massive assault finally destroyed the fragile balance, and lead to a series of war against itself, which were called “The World War” afterwards.
2nd moment: Accept UK's call for ceasefire before the defeat of the Republic. UK asked the Empire for “restitutio in integrum”, and was rejected by the Imperial General Staff.
3rd moment: Allow Tanya to take out General de Lugo so the Free Republic can't form and prevent the UK from entering the war. That would have ended in a clear Empire's victory but the General Staff prevents her.
4th moment: Don't allow Tanya to strike at Moscou and go with the original plan 315. Let the Union forces inside the Empire's territory and defeat them each time they invade. Eventually they will sue for peace. Tanya prevents this path to be taken.
5th moment: Accept Ildoa's ceasefire deal before the defeat of Union army. The General Staff and civilian leaders rejects this offer.
- In the manga, the Empire's soldiers resemble the German Wehrmacht from World War Two, and in the anime, Imperial soldiers resemble the German Kaiserliches Heer from World War One.
- In name, territorial boundaries, culture, and geopolitical situation, the Empire heavily presents itself as a parallel to Imperial Germany and Austria-Hungary during the First World War.
- The Fatherland, the Empire's second most prominent title, among it's own citizenry and military especially, was also a common epithet for Germany spoken among German nationalists during the World Wars.
- On the maps that show up in the background of the anime, the country's name shows up as "Vaterland" in a highly stylized font.
- It is interesting that even the tank technologies had taking place in this era, a massive trench warfare still occurred in Rhine.
- In the novel, the flagship of Imperial North Sea Fleet is SMS Helgoland. In the anime and the manga, it seems to be a Bayern-class battleship.
- ↑ Plus Ultra - Chapter V The Rhine's demon
- ↑ Plus Ultra - Chapter III Norden II
- ↑ Deus lo vult - Chapter I The sky in Norden
- ↑ The finest hour - Chapter II The intervene, which was too late
- ↑ The finest hour - Chapter III Operation an ark
- ↑ Dabit deus his quoque finem - Chapter II Goodwill visit
- ↑ Ut sementem feceris, ita metes - Chapter VI Excessive triumph